Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Over-Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black
WH-1000XM5 YOUR WORLD. NOTHING ELSE.
With two processors controlling eight microphones, Auto NC Optimizer for automatically optimising noise cancelling based on your wearing conditions and environment, and a specially designed driver unit, WH-1000XM5 headphones with industry-leading noise cancelling rewrite the rules for distraction-free listening and call clarity.
Industry-leading noise cancellation
From airplane noise to people's voices, our WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones with multiple microphone noise cancelling keep out more high and mid frequency sounds than ever. And with Auto NC Optimizer, noise cancelling is automatically optimised based on your wearing conditions and environment.
Multi Noise Sensor technology
With four microphones on each earcup, this is our biggest ever step forward in noise cancelling. Ambient sound is captured even more accurately for a dramatic reduction in high frequency noise. Thanks to Auto NC Optimizer, noise cancelling performance is always and automatically optimised based on wearing conditions and external environmental factors such as atmospheric pressure.
Incomparable noise cancelling
Specially developed by Sony, the new Integrated Processor V1 unlocks the full potential of our HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1. This unique combination of technology controls eight microphones to deliver unprecedented noise cancelling quality.
Specially designed 30mm driver unit
The specially designed 30mm driver unit featuring a soft edge enhances noise cancelling, especially in low frequency ranges, helping you enjoy your music precisely without ambient noise. The carbon fiber composite material realizes light weight and high rigidity dome and improves sound clarity, especially in high frequency ranges.
Superlative sound, engineered to perfection
The specially designed 30mm (precision-engineered) driver unit with light and rigid dome using carbon fiber composite material improves high frequency sensitivity for more natural sound quality. Sony unique technologies include a premium lead-free solder containing gold for excellent conductivity, Fine Sound Resistor for even power distribution, and optimised circuitry for an improved signal-to-noise ratio to ensure clear, consistent sound.
Enjoy High-Resolution Audio with and without wires
The WH-1000XM5 supports High-Resolution Audio and High-Resolution Audio Wireless, thanks to LDAC, our industry-adopted audio coding technology. LDAC transmits approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth® audio for exceptional High-Resolution Audio quality.
Real-time restoration of all your compressed files
Using Edge-AI (Artificial Intelligence), DSEE Extreme™ upscales compressed digital music files in real time. Dynamically recognising instrumentation, musical genres and individual elements of each song, it restores high range sound lost in compression.
1000X series best call quality ever
Our Precise Voice Pickup Technology uses four beamforming microphones and an AI-based noise reduction algorithm to isolate your voice precisely. A newly developed wind noise reduction structure minimises wind noise during calls. Wherever you are, you'll always hear and be heard clearly.
Multiple microphones, focused on your voice
Equipped with four beamforming microphones, these headphones are calibrated to only pick up your voice. An improved signal-to-noise ratio enables them to catch every single word, even when there's a lot of noise around.
Ultra clear, noise-free calls
With Precise Voice Pickup Technology and advanced audio signal processing, the person on the other end of the call will hear your voice clearly, even when you are in noisy situations. Our noise reduction algorithm was developed with AI machine learning using more than 500 million voice samples to suppress ambient noise and extract your voice clearly in a wide range of environments.
1 = With noise
2 = Without noise
All day comfort with a noiseless design
These lightweight headphones are beautifully finished in newly developed soft fit leather. This material fits snugly around the head with less pressure on the ears while keeping out external sounds. Our noiseless design with stepless slider, seamless swivel and hanger, and silent joints, makes WH-1000XM5 a pleasure to wear.
Adaptive Sound Control automatically adjusts to whatever you do
Adaptive Sound Control is a smart function that senses where you are and what you're doing, then adjusts ambient sound settings for the ideal listening experience. When activated, it learns your behaviour and recognises locations that you frequently visit, such as your workplace or a favourite café, and tailors sound to suit the situation.
For everyday convenience, just Speak-to-Chat
As soon as you start a conversation, Speak-to-Chat automatically stops your music and lets in ambient sound - handy if you want to keep your headphones on or talk hands-free. This smart feature uses microphones built into your headphones and advanced audio signal processing to recognise and react to your voice. Once your chat is over, your music starts playing again automatically.[6, 7]
Control with your voice
Get hands-free help - Just say "Hey Google" or "Alexa" to activate your preferred voice assistant. Listen to music, connect with friends, get notifications, set reminders, and more. You can even control your headphones features like noise cancellation with your voice, listen to and interact with emails in Microsoft Outlook, and join Microsoft Teams meetings using Google Assistant or Siri.
Listen safely with Sony | Headphones Connect app
Check how safely you're listening to music by comparing sound pressure data recorded by your headphones with guidance of the World Health Organisation (WHO). Receive OS notifications when listening levels are too high.
For total convenience, these Bluetooth® headphones can be paired with two Bluetooth devices at the same time. So when a call comes in, your headphones know which device is ringing and connects to the right one automatically. You'll also be able to quickly switch your headphones to either of the two devices at the touch of a button.
Find your headphones with Fast Pair
The WH-1000XM5 supports Google's helpful new Fast Pair feature. It lets you easily locate where you left your headphones by tone sound, or checking their last known location in Google's Find My Device app on your smartphone.
Easy pairing with your computer
Swift Pair makes it quick and easy to pair your headphones with your Windows 11 or Windows 10 laptop, desktop PC or tablet. Pop-up pairing guidance appears on nearby Windows 11 or Windows 10 devices when pairing mode is selected.
All day power and quick charging
With a huge 30 hours of battery life you'll have enough power even for long trips. If you need to top up in a hurry, you can get 3 hours' worth of charge after just 3 minutes with an optional USB-PD compatible AC adapter.
Everything's at your fingertips
The WH-1000XM5 headphones feature intuitive touch control settings - for example, push the button on the left side to switch from Noise Cancelling to Ambient Sound or use the touch panel on the right side to play or pause music, skip tracks, change volume and much more.
Collapsible case, saves space
Carry your headphones effortlessly in the soft matching case. Take them out and the collapsible case can be made up to 40% thinner for easy storage in a bag.
What's in the box
Open up the packaging of your WH-1000XM5 headphones and you'll find a carrying case, headphone cable (approx. 1.2m) and USB charging cable.
Better for the environment
There's no plastic in the WH-1000XM5 packaging, which is designed based on low toxicity design principles and a 'Made to be Remade' philosophy that's more socially responsible. The product box is produced using recycled and sustainable materials developed specially for Sony. WH-1000XM5 also uses recycled plastic materials from automobile parts.
For more information: https://www.sony.co.nz/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm5
1. As of January 1, 2022. According to research by Sony Corporation, measured using JEITA-compliant guidelines. In headband-style of wireless noise-cancelling headphones market
2. As of January 1, 2022. According to research by Sony Corporation, measured using JEITA-compliant guidelines. In headband-style of noise-cancelling headphones market.
3. At the maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps.
4. Need to set the function to "Priority on Sound Quality" using the Sony | Headphones Connect app. Compatible devices supporting LDAC will be needed.
5. Activate DSEE Extreme™ from the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
6. Set the function to "ON" from the Sony | Headphones Connect app. To deactivate Speak-to-Chat and return to your music immediately, tap either the left or right touch panel. Otherwise, music will resume playing by default 15 seconds after your conversation ends in Speak-to-Chat mode. This timeframe can be customised using the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
7. In rare cases, Speak-to-Chat may unintentionally start up in response to vibrations caused by devices such as electric toothbrushes, electric massagers and electric shavers, and activities such as brushing teeth, coughing or humming.
8. Google Assistant headphones features, including "OK Google" hot word detection, are only available when connected to a supported Android™ device. Google and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Google Assistant and Alexa are not available in all languages and countries/regions. Install the Google app and set up with Sony | Headphones Connect app. For Amazon Alexa, install the Amazon Alexa app and set up with Sony | Headphones Connect app.
9. Only available for Google Assistant. Please see details on https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7172842#headphones.
10. Need to have the app installed on your Android™ device or iOS device. Play My Emails for Outlook Mobile is available for English and Portuguese speaking customers, and Cortana voice assistance for Teams Mobile is only available for English speaking customers. Cortana voice assistance in Teams is currently supported on Microsoft Teams displays in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia. Microsoft, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Teams are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. For the latest information about available languages and countries, please check Microsoft Support page.
11. The adapter is not included with WH-1000XM5.
12. Depending on geographical region. Coating and adhesive materials excluded. Recycle plastics may not be used for parts depending on the time of production.
13. Sony | 360 Spatial Sound Personalizer is an app that personalises your sound experience when connected to a BRAVIA XR TV.
14. Firmware update available from Jan 2022 and is required to enjoy 360 Spatial Sound on BRAVIA XR. Network connection required for firmware update of BRAVIA XR.
15. The same experience as WH-1000XM4 headphones (shown in picture) is available.
16. Sony | Headphones Connect App is needed. Requires subscription to a music streaming service -subscription fees apply. Some services may not be available in certain countries/regions.
17. This product is also known as WH1000XM5/BME, WH1000XM5/SME
18. Actual colour and dimension may differ from the screen image.
19. Colours & features of the product shown may differ by model and country.
20. Services availability depends on region. A part or whole of software/services installed into or accessible through the product may be changed, discontinued, removed, suspended, or terminated without notice.
21. Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
Size & Weight
48 ohm(1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on) , 16 ohm(1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
4 Hz - 40,000 Hz (JEITA)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (ACTIVE OPERATION)
4 Hz - 40,000 Hz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE(BLUETOOTH® COMMUNICATION)
20Hz-20,000Hz (44.1kHz sampling) 20Hz-40,000Hz (LDAC 96kHz sampling 990kbps)
102dB(1kHz) / mW (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on) , 100dB / mW(1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
Gold-plated L-shaped stereo mini plug
Stereo Mini Jack
AMBIENT SOUND MODE
BATTERY CHARGE TIME
Approx. 3.5 hrs
BATTERY CHARGE METHOD
BATTERY LIFE(CONTINUOUS MUSIC PLAYBACK TIME)
Max. 30 hrs (NC ON) , Max. 40 hrs (NC OFF)
BATTERY LIFE(CONTINUOUS COMMUNICATION TIME)
Max. 24 hrs (NC ON) , Max. 32 hrs (NC OFF)
Bluetooth Specification Version5.2
2.4GHz band (2.4000GHz-2.4835GHz)
A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
SUPPORTED AUDIO FORMAT(S)
SBC, AAC, LDAC
SUPPORTED CONTENT PROTECTION
PERSONAL NC OPTIMIZER
Auto NC Optimizer
ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE OPTIMIZING
AMBIENT SOUND MODE
What's In The Box
As an international traveller you are entitled to bring a certain amount/value of goods that are free of Customs duty and exempt Goods and Services tax (GST) into New Zealand. This is called your duty free allowance and personal goods concession. It is important to review these for any purchases you make on The Mall.
Your duty free allowance entitles you to bring into New Zealand the following quantities of alcohol products free of customs duty and GST provided you are over 17 years of age. You do need to be 18 years or over to purchase.
- Up to six bottles (4.5 litres) of wine, champagne, port or sherry or
- Up to twelve cans (4.5 litres) of beer
- And three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages
Goods other than alcohol and tobacco, whether purchased overseas or purchased duty free in New Zealand, that have a combined total value not exceeding NZ$700 may also be brought as part of your personal goods concession.
When travelling overseas there are legal limits on the amount of duty free alcohol and other goods you can take with you. These amounts will vary depending on the country you are flying into. We always recommend you check the latest limits and exemptions.
Your order can be picked up at an Auckland Airport Collection Point. There is one in departures and one at arrivals in the international terminal. Alternatively, if you are arriving between 11pm and 6am you will be able to collect your order from our lockers. See map
Please bring your order confirmation email and your passport. If you are collecting from lockers you will have been sent an email with your access code, be sure to have this on you in order to collect your order.
If you’re departing Auckland Airport, we recommend that you come to the Auckland Airport Collection Point at least 60 minutes before your flight. If you miss your pickup time or your flight details have changed please let us know as soon as possible.
When you collect your order you will have the opportunity to inspect the items and sign for them.
If you need to return an item, our Collection Point team are there to help you. If you are collecting after hours please return the item to your locker and our team will be in touch as soon as possible. You may also like to view our Returns & refunds which provides information on how this works and outlines the individual retailer's returns and refunds policies.
After Hours Collections
If your order needs to be collected after the Auckland Airport Collection Point desk is closed, your order will be placed in the lockers next to the desk. All the details you will need to collect your order will be provided in your Order Confirmation and Ready to Collect Email.